The Old Cooker

The Old Cooker

Kick Butt Gumbo


This is something that sounded good on a cold rainy night. Except living in Phoenix there is no such thing as a cold rainy night so we pretend by cranking up the AC and letting a lawn sprinkler hit the patio door. Since we don't have lawns here there's not a lot else we can do with the lawn sprinklers anyway.

It was pretty easy to make and had enough "kick" to make sure my Mylanta supply didn't go to waste.

I call it my Kick Butt Gumbo:

Ingredients:

12 – 16 oz Andouille sausage (the spicy stuff)

1 can diced tomatoes with chilies

2 cups frozen carrot/green bean/corn medley

½ large white onion chopped into large pieces

1 large green pepper chopped into large pieces

¼ cup olive oil

1 tbs Franks Hot Sauce

¼ cup chipotle sauce

1 jar Alfredo sauce (bottled stuff like Ragu or Prego)

1 package bow tie pasta

Crock pot cook all ingredients except Alfredo sauce in crock pot for 4 – 6 hours. Add Alfredo sauce and cook another 60 – 90 minutes.  Serve over cooked bow tie pasta. Mix in remaining pasta for leftovers.

SERVES:  3-4 young people or a couple of old people who don't mind sitting on the pot all night

NOTE:  for dietary needs the sausage can be substituted with chicken, shrimp (but add them when you add the Alfredo sauce rather than at the beginning), or other favorite meat.  Unfortunately I can’t think of anything to substitute for the Alfredo sauce.


Thought for the day: 


“The Little Boy and the Old Man"

Said the little boy, "Sometimes I drop my spoon."
Said the old man, "I do that too."
The little boy whispered, "I wet my pants."
I do that too," laughed the little old man.
Said the little boy, "I often cry."
The old man nodded, "So do I."
But worst of all," said the boy, "it seems
Grown-ups don't pay attention to me."
And he felt the warmth of a wrinkled old hand.
I know what you mean," said the little old man.”

- Shel Silverstein

Share this with your Facebook friends by clicking  f   in the comments box below

No comments:

Post a Comment